FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 16, 2021
Official Opposition Makes Capital Budget Submission to PEI Government
Charlottetown, PE – Last Friday, August 13, the Official Opposition sent its capital budget submission to the King government. It was created using what Islanders have been telling us are their priorities.
The submission includes calls for increased funding to new public housing developments and mental health and addictions infrastructure, which were both areas of government underspending in the previous capital budget.
It also includes requests for:
- The timely construction of the Sherwood and Stratford Schools;
- Better ventilation in Island schools;
- New building for Summerside Harbourside Medical Centre;
- Restorative Care Unit at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital;
- Expansion of childcare facilities;
- Federally approved food inspection facility so more Island businesses can export their products;
- Investment in green infrastructure to address our changing climate and create new opportunities for our agriculture sector;
- Improving and expanding both seniors’ housing and shelter facilities.
Islanders can download a copy of our full submission here:
“This capital budget submission shows what Islanders have been telling us are priorities for them, their families, and their communities,” said Michele Beaton, Official Opposition House Leader. “Last year, the King government failed to spend what was promised in many critical areas. Islanders deserve and expect more from their government.”
The Official Opposition expects to see these priorities that Islanders have shared with us reflected in the upcoming capital budget. We also encourage Government to consult directly with the public regarding capital budget investments.
“We will continue to hold Government to account if it fails to invest appropriately in mental health infrastructure, children and families, sustainable communities, and new public housing,” said Beaton.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Director of Communications
Office of the Official Opposition
Tel: (902) 213-0718