FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 19, 2023
Green Caucus responds to Premier King’s call for input on Speech from the Throne and 2023-2024 Operating Budget
Charlottetown, PE – Today Peter Bevan-Baker and Karla Bernard responded to Premier King’s April 13 letter asking for input from opposition parties on the Speech from the Throne and the 2023-2024 Operating Budget.
In their letter, the Green caucus reminded the King Government that the Speech from the Throne is supposed to represent the Progressive Conservative vision for PEI. Accordingly, the Green caucus expects the King Government will have a clear plan to address the crises it has so far failed to resolve, including those in healthcare, housing, and affordability.
“Framing the Speech from the Throne as a collaborative exercise muddies the waters for Islanders. The PC government owes it to Islanders to show it can generate its own ideas. We look forward to the opportunity to respond to the Throne Speech and share our thoughts at that time,” said Green leader Peter Bevan-Baker.
In response to Premier King’s request for input on the 2023-2024 Operating Budget, the Green caucus outlined some of its priorities from the Green Party 2023 election platform, including:
- Substantial increases to pharmacare funding, including free contraceptive care for Islanders;
- Immediate wage increases for all frontline healthcare workers;
- The implementation of a rental registry to protect Islanders from illegal rent increases;
- A refundable tax credit for low-income and middle-income workers;
- A citizens’ assembly for proportional representation;
- Funding to implement a Island-wide land-use plan within the next two years and introduce shoreline protection legislation;
- Multi-year core funding for community organizations, including but not limited to Pride PEI, PEI Transgender Network, PEERS Alliance, and BIPOC USHR; and
- Funding to complete an anti-racism strategy for PEI.
“The Premier often says he will take good ideas wherever they come from. The Green Party’s platform is filled with great ideas to improve healthcare, housing, affordability, environmental protection, and equality on PEI. I encourage the Premier to get to work on delivering the outcomes Islanders expect from their government,” said Karla Bernard, MLA for Charlottetown-Victoria Park.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Chief of Staff
Office of the Third Party
Tel: (902) 213-6378